Sunday, April 10, 2016

Church and Priorities

Q: Why do people not put church as a priority in their life?

Different people have different reasons for not wanting to engage in church or public worship. However, I haven't heard a good one yet. It's sort of like the excuses that one gives for not having their homework - "We had a ___ game to go to (or a camping trip or sleep over or ... whatever) on Sunday" or "We just couldn't get it together" or my favorite "It's my only day to sleep in" or even better yet "the kids didn't think it was fun" or "I don't get anything out of it." 

Attendance at public worship (or lack thereof) says something about the person and what kind of relationship they are trying to nurture with God. We prioritize activities based on what we think is important. If an individual's relationship with God is unimportant, then it becomes 2nd, 3rd, or even last on the list. This is very sad because it's the people like this that wonder why God is so "absent" after they have done nothing to nurture or build a relationship with God. 

Relationship is a two-fold thing. It requires engagement and interaction by all parties. I often tell people that you only get out of church (or relationship) what you are willing to put into it. If you are not engaged or don't participate in what the church community works so hard to offer, then you don't reap the full benefits of church.

I recently had a conversation with a woman who has come back to church after being away for many years. She attends nearly every Sunday and is engaged in activities. I want to share what she told me that will probably help those who are struggling with priorities. She said, "I never realized the depth of real love and understanding that comes from belonging to a church. I understand more about how we worship more than I did when I came only 2 or 3 times a year. I never realized or understood that going through Lent would make Easter mean that much more to me - and it did! The more I learn, the more I want to learn."

For me, that sums it up. That is why I am personally engaged. That's why I make it a priority. When I am in worship or in community at Church, as messy and stressful as it can be sometimes, I always feel a depth of love and peace. It is a place of activity and learning... it is a place of engagement and relationship... It's not perfect, it's a messy safe place to work things out.

Jesus says love God and love your neighbor. To me, my relationship with God is the first thing on my list. That is what I work on when I go to church and worship. It sets the tone of how I work on my relationship with my neighbor. If the relationship with God is missing, then the rest of the system will be, and usually is, out of sorts.

Note: It usually takes a few several hours to prepare just one hour of worship, it's not instant, nor does it happen spontaneously. It is a shame that many people don't think that their relationship with God is important enough to make it a priority and engage enough to completely enjoy the benefits.


No comments:

Post a Comment