Thursday, October 20, 2022

Differing Beliefs

Do the beliefs of the laity differ from official Episcopal teaching?
If so, what is the significance of this issue?

I’m not sure I understand the questions. I’m sure that different folks have different ways of believing (lay and ordained). Do I think everyone in the laity is in line with the “official teaching” of the church? I would have to say no. But I would also say that also goes for the rest of Christianity. Faith and belief differ. There may be things outside the “official teaching” that people don’t agree with. There are many wrinkles in religion. Being Christian means that we follow Jesus who is the Christ. To me, that means that Jesus is Lord, and he is the incarnation of God. Faith in Christ is the thing we strive for. 

I feel that the Episcopal Church offers a broad umbrella under which to exercise that faith. Other than the Holy Scripture and the Book of Common Prayer, we rely on apostolic tradition and reason through the Holy Spirit to lead us into faith and into right relationship with each other and with God. 

If you need something other than this, please e-mail me again. Maybe rephrase or restate the question. I may be misunderstanding you here.


No comments:

Post a Comment